Thursday, February 5, 2015

LEXIE UPDATE

 Lexie came to me last June, so she has been with me over 7 months.   I can't believe it's been that long.
 She has been  inquisitive and loving.
 She has the cutest expressions.    But, you can see how pale her tongue is.
 Some people asked me what was wrong with her.    I have talked a lot about her on facebook, but maybe not so much on this blog.
 Lexie (with her tiny elephant) has IMHA-- Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia.    Her immune system thinks her red blood cells are the enemy and tries to destroy them.   Her own body is fighting itself.  
 She has had two transfusions (early on) and is on a lot of medication.   Many dogs who have this do not make it past two months.   I don't know how long Lexie was sick before I got her, but she was basically dying when she came to me.    The fight was on!  
 Her red blood cell count is what I want to know all the time.   When she has bloodwork done, that's what I ask for first.   Then, I find out the rest.    Lexie's count went up to almost normal one time.   A lot of the time, it remains in the 30s (normal is 40-60).  
 Lexie loves to be held.   She curled up in my granddaughter's arms.  
 Lexie snuggles into a box bed-- she just likes to be where she can see me.  
 This past week, I noticed a difference in her mouth (gums and tongue).   People who have dogs with IMHA check their color all the time.    The higher the red blood count, the pinker the gums and tongue are.
 Lexie's energy level has been low and she is not playing.  She is still eating all her food and meal time is her favorite time of the day.    I had her bloodwork redone, and her  red blood count is very low.    We are doing all we know to do for her.     If you have not heard of hemolytic anemia, please go to this link:   Click here: The Body Against Itself: Immune-Mediated - YouTube
I have had the blessing of taking care of this sweet girl.   She is so precious and is a tiny little bundle to hold and love.     I hope she will go into remission and have a long life.  But, whatever life she has left will be filled with love.    If you would like to donate to her care, please go to our web site:  Click here: Home - Potomac Valley Pekingese Club    Check on facebook for updates on her.  

1 comment:

lady jicky said...

I am praying for you Lexie!

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES