Tuesday, October 22, 2019

MY MAX-- #NOTTODAY

My Max, the Old Gentleman
 Max saw the vet yesterday. 
 It was a hard visit.
 He's been part of my family for so long, but he's 16 years old now. He came to us when he was five.
 Yesterday, before the vet, I decided to brush him some, and trim his feet and make him look pretty.  Why??   He's not doing well, but he enjoyed the treatment.  I put in leave-in conditioner to help the brushing go smoothly and he smelled so good. 
 I trimmed his feet and brushed his ears.
 His coat is still beautiful, but it hides a very thin body.  Max is in kidney failure and the signs are more apparent.  He is under 12 pounds now, and he has developed sores in his mouth.  It's part of the kidneys failing.  The vet and I discussed his prognosis.  It's bad-- that's all there is to it.   So, I brought him home, and we will have a few days of loving and keeping him comfortable.  And later this week, I will probably take him and let him go.  My vet just said to call her when I'm ready.  It's like letting go of part of my life.   But, he can no longer absorb his nutrients, his kidney are not working and his body is getting tired.  Some evenings, he just wanders, he doesn't see much at all.   I don't want him to suffer.
So, this week, I will try to give him a good week.  I will hold him more, and pet him more and make memories with him- of course, there are already so many of those.  He's been a good boy.   He's been a grumpy boy at times, but still good.  I love him.  But, good-bye is getting close.  💙  #nottoday  but soon.

5 comments:

LadyJicky said...

Oh Linda .... I wish I was near you .

You love that old Max of yours Linda and give him a big fat squeeze for me too.

Hugs !!!

Toni Davis said...

Linda, I am so sorry! My heart aches for you! Hugs to Max!

Lost Earring said...

I don't have the right words and my tears are you and Max, hoping you'll have a loving few days together. Broken hearted is actually how I feel because there's been so many losses this year.

Arthur said...

I wish they could be here for as long as we are..

ElSid said...

I always do the same. A warm bath etc...

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES