Thursday, April 28, 2022

PEKES AND SKIN BURNS/RASHES

 

Have you ever had a dog get a “burn” on them.  Razor burn from being shaved too close can really hurt them.  
I asked my vet about this and she gave me ideas.  Sometimes, the vet isn’t open or it’s a mild burn or scrape.  Of course, I’ve known of dogs with severe burns and I’m not talking about those.   Severe skin burns need immediate vet care. 
Hot spots can be like a burn and you want to keep your pet comfortable so they don’t chew and make it worse.   You can try these if you have them:  
Dermalome, momentamax (an ear medicine), or Neopredef if you have them from other skin issues. 
(Gidget is giving me her surprised look.).  If you don’t have those, some others you can try are the following BUT you need to have an e collar on them so they won’t lick and ingest it. 
Calamine lotion or cortisone ointment might help.   I’ve even used plain Vaseline to protect the pain nerves from reacting.  
Benedryl (1/2 pill for most Pekes of 15 pounds) and Zyrtec can also help. 
I’m not a vet.  I can’t prescribe things.  So I rely on my vet to guide and teach me.   Of course, getting them to the vet is important if these don’t work.  Your pet may need a shot or prescription cream or even a cytopoint shot.   I wanted to share what my vet taught me.  I’m always ready to learn from them and so grateful they will teach me.   
Have you tried anything you can share? 






1 comment:

LadyJicky said...

A long time ago one of my dogs had a shaver burn ... took me awhile to work it out what was wrong with him.... near the bottom too - Ooooo.
The groomer did it sadly.
I used Vaseline and it worked but if it didn't I would have gone to the Vet.
I did not use that groomer again.

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES