Friday, August 25, 2023

AUGGIE-- LETTING GO

Auggie came into rescue with mats and smelly condition with infected skin.  Oh, he was on meds for kennel cough, too.  
My vet saw him that day.   They helped me get rid of the mats and trimmed his nails.  The massive mats on his ears were shaved off.  The vet put him on meds to help his skin.   We began special baths, and he was so good!  
This week, they had an opening where they could do his neuter.  That was awesome!!   
He was loopy the first day, but each day he has become more and more secure and happy. 
He decided he let us know how much he liked to be held.  He jumped on the couch (there's a little step stool there).   He loves attention.
Auggie decided to take the covers off the dog beds.  I put them back on.  He took them back off.  LOL
This week, he relaxed so much and we realized he loves to be held like a baby.  
He was on Matt's lap-- who could resist that face.  
Then.... he decided he would stop sleeping downstairs on the couch and he came upstairs to join the rest of us.    He curled up on the end of the bed.   I woke up in the morning, with him curled up by me.  Oh, my. 
Even Paddington, aka Bad Pad, has been good.   Auggie is not alpha.   (He does eat by himself, though.  Just a precaution since he was pretty thin when he showed up at the shelter as a stray.)
People say "keep him, you love him."   But, rescue is about letting go.   And I look at my age and the foster age, too.  I’m getting older and Auggie is young.  If I keep a foster, I can't help the next one who needs care.   Some people say, "I couldn't do that."  But, if you want to rescue a long time (over 20 years for me now), you only keep the ones who need special care, or the ones who aren't adopted for some reason or the other.    Is it hard to let go?  Yes.   But, I have the chance to fall in love over and over.   That's the joy of rescue.   What a privilege.  💕
 

1 comment:

LadyJicky said...

What a beautiful boy Auggie is and I am sure he will be adopted Pronto!!!

I know you cannot keep them all Linda so I am doing my Adoption Dance right now for Auggie :)

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES