Thursday, August 3, 2023

CHARLEY-- A RESCUE STORY

 My friend, Barbara (who is our awesome PVPC treasurer) sent me a rescue story of her precious Charley.   Sharing our stories helps keep the love going.  

When I met my first Pekingese as a childI knew I would always love them. My mom bought my first one in 1976, over the years we added a few more, thinking they could keep each other company when we were at workWhen our Sweet Paws needed a companion i2005, we decided that it was time to investigate rescue options.    I couldn’t believe my luck in finding a Peke. The rescue director told me that while they had several applications, they had been hoping to find someone familiar with Pekes. She told me Charley was special and needed someone familiar with the breed and prepared to work with a severely traumatized dog. 

The information provided to us was that Charley’s owner kept her in a pen during the day while she was at work. Unfortunately, her husband thought it would be okay to add a young pit bull to the pen and leave them unsupervised as he left for the day. When the owner came home, she found Charley lying on the ground with a bloodied head. The owner rushed Charley to a dog shelter and asked them to save her. Once she was cleaned up, it seemed the most damage was to the left side of her head. A vet was brought in, he was able to save the eye but it no longer worked. This little dog who had once been well-loved by someone was now partially blinded and severely traumatized. 

We did a trial weekend and Charley and Paws got along great, so we added Charley to the family.

Charley and Paws quickly bonded, played together and took care of each other. Whenever separated for any length of time, the one at home would quietly wait for the return of the other.  They would have a joyful reunion. 

In late fall of 2014, Paws began slowing down, having trouble with steps.  We used a baby gate to keep her safe from falls. Charley became her little guardian and watched over her.  They had over 9 ½ years together and were wonderful company to me.  This is the last picture I have of the two of them. 

After Paws died, Charley became my shadow, she had to be wherever I was, sitting close when I watched TV.  She enjoyed attention more than she had before

While Charley got lots of attention, she sometimes seemed lonely and depressed. About 6 months after we lost Paws, we added Melrose.  

He was our first PVPC rescue.  A year later we added Kasey      

She continued to do very well with rescues added over the years but made sure she was the center of attention whenever possible. She loved sitting on the sofa with me.   Charley spent eleven happy years with us.  She was always a good girl and was a very sweet dog. But her final months were difficult.  As she approached her 15th birthday, she often woke in the night with screams of terror that were disturbing and sad.  She didn’t seem to know us at times

After describing her symptoms to my vethis diagnosis was CCD or Canine Cognitive Disorder. The doctor explained that it was somewhat like Alzheimer's and that at times Charley may not remember who we were.  She could be experiencing dreams of the attack from years ago.  While it was heartbreaking to let her go, wanted to remember the happy days and hoped she would find peace at last.    PRECIOUS CHARLEY.💜


If you want me to post YOUR rescue story, send me a message or email (potomacpekes@gmail.com) and I'll see if it will work.  

No comments:

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES