Tuesday, March 24, 2009

IF I DIDN'T HAVE DOGS...

IF I DIDN'T HAVE DOGS....

I wouldn't have to check the carpets for accidents. This is Starlight-- most beautiful foster dog I've had-- okay, most of them are just beautiful!!!
When the doorbell rings, it wouldn't sound like a kennel. Scooter says, "Did I hear the door bell? Does that mean it's time to sing??"
My furniture would be for people-- Starlight has made a bed under a school desk that I have.
My house would look neat all the time-- not just after I straightened all the afghans and put the pillows where they belong. (Notice, there are still afghans/throws on the couch seat and back! You have to stay prepared-- a Peke stampede could happen at any moment.) I could sit on the couch and my bed the way I wanted, without taking into consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.
I would not have as many leaves INSIDE my house as outside. (Do Cranberry and Maggie look like they care??!)
Yep, here's what the couch often looks like!
My book shelves would actually be just for books!
I would not look strangely at people who think having ONE dog/cat ties them down too much. I would not have to answer the question "Why do you have so many animals?" from people who do not have the joy in their lives of knowing they are loved unconditionally by someone as close to an angel as they will ever get.
I would not have strange presents under my Christmas tree - dog bones, stuffed animals, toys, treats nor would I have to explain to people why I wrap them. And notice the boards around the tree to keep the dogs from thinking the tree is outside!
My house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.
I wouldn't have covers on the ottomans for the dogs to lay on.
My pockets would not contain things like poop bags, treats and an extra leash. Do you think I have enough leashes?? And there are more in the car, along with collars, and a kennel JUST IN CASE I see a stray Pekingese along the road!
I wouldn't have crates around the house just in case one of the dogs needed a quiet moment. Sometimes, a Peke just wants to be by herself! (Can we say CRANBERRY, one of my Pekes who likes to be ALONE at times. I'll sometimes find her curled up in here with a toy.)
My house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated. This is Clarence, adopted this year-- beautiful boy!
I would have money .. and no guilt to go on a real vacation. I would not be on a first-name basis with 4 veterinarians, as I put their yet unborn grand kids through college. I think I'm paying for the new addition at my vet-- it's a beautiful addition. I wonder which part will be named for our Pekes!! But, who could NOT take care of this sweet one!! Max is such a great dog!
I could walk around the yard barefoot in safety. (Okay, this is at the farm, my daughter's house, but the principal is the same!) I'd look forward to spring and the rainy season instead of dreading "muddy" season. Yes, I mop and vacumn a lot. If I feel like it, of course, and IF it needs it. :-)
My house would not look like a day care center, toys everywhere.
All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of hair. I even opened all the doors of my mini-van and took the yard blower and BLEW the car out! (Yes, that's a Christmas tree in the laundry room that you can see-- some of the dogs beds are in there, so they HAD to have a tree!)
Afghans wouldn't cover every surface.
I wouldn't wear aprons to keep the dog hair off me-- really, though, I rarely wear an apron. But, who could resist holding Maggie!! Talk about a mush-ball!
My bed would be for ME. This is Symba, Shanyn's Peke-- he is very comfortable on her bed!
The most used words in my vocabulary would not be: out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave him/her/it ALONE. I would no longer have to Spell the words B-A-L-L-, F-R-I-S-B-E-E, W-A-L-K, T-R-E-A-T or R-I-D-E.
If I didn't have dogs ............................................. How empty my life would be.





























4 comments:

Anna said...

What an awesome post! So true, so true! I love the part about putting your vet's as yet unborn grandkids thru college (so true though!!) And we can totally relate to the toys, the fur, the ad hoc sleeping areas, the fact that we have more dog sweaters, jackets and tees (than we have winter coats for ourselves!) BUT WE WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!!!

Pekiegirl said...

This is what I try to get my husband and my father to understand. They call them my "fuzzy anchors". I call them my heart, and without them life would be so empty!

Anonymous said...

If I didn't have dogs,
I'd be miserable :)
Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

I didn't have a dog until I "gave" myself such a gift for my 40th birthday....Little did I know what I'd been missing during the other decades...!!
My Chloe (ShihTzu) is the light of my life.
(I'm writing to say how much I enjoyed your post...and how much my Chloe looks like the beautiful Starlight. Sorry I can't post a picture to show you -- but I'm technology-challenged!!)
Love to ALL the dogs--

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES