Saturday, January 8, 2022

GIDGET AND SEIZURES

I blogged yesterday about Gidget-- I didn't expect to do another blog so quickly.   
They have both come so far since I got them.   That first day, they were so unsure of everything.  They soon learned they were safe and cared for. 
Gidget follows me all over.  So do a few others.   😁
We were told that Gidget had had seizures before.  So, we watched her and waited.  After a few weeks, she had two in a day.  So, we began medication.  We used Zonisamide every 12 hours.    It seemed to be working until yesterday.  
Rocky wanted to know what was going on.  
I happened to be at the vet with Gidget with another dog (she insisted on going with me) and while talking to some friends, Gidget began to have a seizure.  I was holding her, so it was apparent right away.  They immediately took her back.    
Gidget stayed at the vet all day and they monitored her and "loaded" the phenobarbital.   I'm sure she sang to them while she was there.
She does love to be vocal-- singing can be loud, but it's just part of who Gidget is.  
All the dogs were very curious when I brought her home and had to check her out, especially Rocky.   We will be observing her closely and recheck her pheno levels when the vet wants them done.   Gidget is a super sweet and loving girl, and we will get her level.   Seizures are not uncommon in the Pekingese breed, so we are familiar with them.   We just have to find her correct dose that works for her.   
For now, she is resting on my lap as I work at my computer.  The rest are on the couch or close by.   
We love Pekingese! 

 

1 comment:

LadyJicky said...

I am crossing my fingers and paws to get the right level for little Gidget!!!
So handy she had a seizure at the Vet!!! They can really see what its like.

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES