Friday, February 9, 2024

WHEN YOU CAN’T SAVE THEM

Yesterday was not my favorite rescue day.  In rescue, we're able to save many.   But, not all.  

There was a Peke at the shelter near me that has worked with our rescue for years.    He was turned in by his owner and he was older.   One of our foster moms, Susan,  volunteers there and she called me and said she could get him for us.    
She brought him to my house, and then we both began to evaluate him.   I saw that he needed an ophthalmologist so I called mine and she said she'd fit us in.   Susan and I continued evaluating him.   And what we saw wasn't good.   He was not a bit aggressive.  But, he couldn't see.  In fact, his eyes were so very bad.   He couldn't hear us.   He has a tumor on his leg.   The list got worse from there.   I called and cancelled the ophthalmologist appointment.   I called my vet and asked for an emergency appointment.   They said to come right in.  They were waiting for me.   My vet also looked him over-- and she agreed with me that the most compassionate thing we could do was to let him go.    I held him.  He laid quietly in my arms.  I think he knew I loved him already.   We gave him chocolate kisses and he lapped them down.   (You should not give these to your dogs, but he wasn't going to make it, so we let him enjoy it.)   I sat on the floor with him on my lap, his head on my arm.   I rubbed his back and he relaxed in my arms.    As he left this world, his head pressed into my arm.  He knew he was safe and cared about.  He was in no more pain.   I wish his owner could have done this for him.   But, they didn't.  So we did.   
And then a good thing happened.  As I was leaving the vet, Marti was coming in.    She was picking up forever foster, Rick (aka Bric).   He had been groomed and he was ready to go home.   I had not seen him in a long time, so I was excited to see him.   Rick is "temperamental" and his foster mom is so good with him.   I'm grateful for her. 
That wasn't the end of the day.   We were asked to help this little one.   She was closer to a sister rescue, so we were able to set up them taking her.  Another one saved.  💜 (Rescues working together can help more dogs in need.)
This past week, I've also been working to help save some puppies who were abandoned in the mountains.   

I know it seems shocking-- and it is.   In rescue, we deal with all kinds of situations, and most people don't know about them.  They're in the "background" of rescue.   We wanted to help these puppies.  No one else responded, but we hope to get some Saturday and then work with another rescue to help them.    A plan is in place-- we hope it works out.   We are trying.  
I was able to come home to my dogs.  Today is what rescue is about-- doing what you can to help save.  Our Callie was a rescue-- every dog in my house was a rescue.   
They give me comfort at the end of each day-- especially the hard days.  
 We realize you can't always win.  But, you can treat those you can and be gentle with those you can't save.   I thanked my vet for helping me with the Peke today.  She said, "I consider it a privilege to help them leave this life with compassion and care."     I agree--  we don't always win, but we do win most of the time.  

And now I'll go cuddle with Piper and Callie and Cinnamon and Paddington.   I'm grateful to be able to help when I can.    WE ARE RESCUE.  

4 comments:

LadyJicky said...

You all do the hard jobs in rescue but I know you would all say to me "Someone needs to do it"
and you all do!

Blessings to you all.... from the doggies you help , save and sadly be there when "its time" .

XXXXX

Sherryl said...

Thank you for all that you do❣️

Anonymous said...

May God bless you Linda and give you the strength to do what you do.

Anonymous said...

Amazing work you do and with such dedication and compassion. The world needs more of you, for more dogs, for more everyone

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES