This is extremely disturbing news. Stick to the tried and true...
AMI wanted to share with the group something that happened to one of my babies. I recently took one of my dogs to Fortpayne Alabama to a vet there. He is an hour from me but, I like the way he interacts with my dogs. While there, I decided to get some Frontline. He explained that he had patients unhappy with that product and began carrying Promeris. I hadn't heard of this product but felt he wouldn't carry it if there were problems.I applied the product to seven of my dogs one afternoon. Everyone appeared to be fine however, Banjo(Shepherd/Collie X) vomited a bit of grass but, that wasn't alarming to me. I never left the house that night but was upstairs in my office working. When I came down stairs Banjo wasn't at the hallway door where he always waited for me. I found him in my bedroom laying on his pillow his little head between his paws, his eyes staring. I called for him, no response. My boy was dead. I couldn't understand what could have happened to my baby? He was only 4 yrs old. Beautiful, healthy, energetic boy. It was a holiday weekend(Sept 3) so I called the crematorium to see if they would allow me to freeze him until I could get over the shock of this and figure out what I wanted to do. It suddenly hit me,the promeris? I called my vet were I purchased this. He agreed that it was very suspicious and requested that I bring Banjo to him for an autopsy. As much as I didn't want to do this, as a rescuer,I felt it would be irresponsible not to follow through.Our suspicions were accurate. The chemical in the product shut down his motor cortex at the base of his brain. It appeared that the neurological inhibitor put my Banjo to sleep. His application was for less than his body weight. The vet said that if he had gotten the full dosage he would have been gone in 30 minutes. The product takes 8 to 10 hours to get in to there blood stream. Banjo was dead 9 hours after his application.The company(Visor)that makes this product has asked for a pathology report to be done. Dr. Lee sent more tissue samples off to Auburn University and we are waiting for the results. Not certain the tissue will still be viable. Please tell everyone you know to stay clear of this flea/tick product. It's a roll of the dice and not worth the risk. I have 6 dogs that appear to be o.k. but, Banjo lost his life. I don't know that I have ever felt such heartache. I will fight in his memory to have this product pulled or at the very least have the wording"this product could be fatal to some dogs"added to packaging. My vet boxed up this product and sent it back to Visor after his autopsy findings. He said he would not carry a product that could harm a dog in this way. Thank you Dr. Lee. Sincerely,Beth Ann Webb Wet Noses and Wagging Tails
This is Theodora, who was adopted 5 years ago. I remember transporting her from Maryland-- she had been spayed in the shelter and hadn't been bathed first. (How can you do surgery on a dirty dog??) Theo smelled so badly that I felt awful taking her to her new home. But, you know what-- they loved her anyway! And have continued to love her since then. I love adopters like this-- they see past the smell and the "view" and love the dog.