Sunday, January 23, 2011

Confortis

I am doing this blog in addition to the regular daily blog. Be sure to scan down for that one.
I received this information on Confortis-- a topical flea med. Be careful when using it. Some people have a lot of luck with it. You cannot give this on their skin at the same time as their heartworm med-- One can be done the middle of the month, one the beginning of the month to lessen possible severe/fatal side effects. I don't use it, but am including this blog on Confortis for information so that you can make your own decision.
From friends in rescue:
"...Comfortis is the lesser of two evils of flea meds. I've actually seen with my own eyes dogs and cats seize and have their skin burned by topicals. For dogs who already have skin problems like my two, I didn't want to chance it."Topicals can cause a skin reaction in some animals. However, the seizures and chemical burns I have seen and experienced as a vet tech, were only caused by the products you can buy in the grocery store (i.e. BioSpot, Hartz, etc). I personally have not seen any severe reactions to Frontline, Advantage or Vectra, though I am sure they are possible. What we are talking about here is medication and chemicals. There are possible side effects to each of these products and some could be severe. With vomiting being the most common side effect of Comfortis, it seems quite safe. However, if you read on, the long-term effects of the medication are unknown and could be severe. This is what makes me wonder about the drug: "Phospholipidosis (vacuolation) of the lymphoid tissue was seen in all dogs treated with COMFORTIS chewable tablets, the long-term effects of which are unknown"Does anyone know what this could cause in the future for the dog taking Comfortis? Anything taken orally and going through the blodstream seems to me to have more potential to have severe long term effects. But, none of this is known about this medication yet, it is quite new. I am certainly not saying it is a bad medication!! It sounds great and easy to use, when done according to directions. It would be difficult for me to remember to not give the heartworm and flea 2 weeks apart, but I'd get used to that too!Of course we all need to make decisions for our pets based on our own feelings,research and choices. It is wonderful that everyone here is so willing to help each other and share their experiences. We can all learn something! Kelly, fellow rescuer

Here's the product label for Comfortis. http://elms.xh1.lilly.com/comfortis-product-label.pdfThe big concern I had with Comfortis was that you have to be very careful when you give ivermectin also. You have to make sure the two meds are given two weeks apart. Comfortis and ivermectin can interact causing seizures, blindness, etc. From the label "Following concomitant extra label use of ivermectin with COMFORTIS, some dogs have experienced the following clinical signs: trembling/twitching, salivation/drooling, seizures, ataxia, mydriasis, blindness and disorientation.

2 comments:

lady jicky said...

Thanks for that Linda.
my old Peke Lulu would get a red rash that looked 'burned" with advantage drops!
I have then always used Sentinal tablets - does the lot!

Pekiegirl said...

I use Flea Treats, which I learned about on this blog a few years ago. It's a vitamin B-complex dietary suppliment that's liver flavored, and all natural. I've used it for 2 years now, and haven't seen one flea! I've recommended it to my customers and they all rave about it! Just one treat in the morning, and one treat in the evening is all it takes! This product also works on ticks and mosquitos, and the cost is about 60.00 a year for two pekes! Check it out at www.fleatreat.com

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES