Friday, July 3, 2015

THE FOURTH OF JULY-- BETH'S CREW

Beth sent me pictures of her beautiful group of Pekes!   Teddy, Missy, Cosme and Lily are all set for the holiday!  
I want to also put in some warnings about the Fourth.   It is loud, scary, and a time where so many dogs get lost because they are terrified of the noise.    Here are some things you can do to help:

1. Make sure you pet has a name tag on. ALL THE TIME. Some people remove collars when the dogs are inside. I don't understand this. Dogs can get out unexpectedly-- and with no name tag, no one knows how to help get them home. Keep a collar and name tag on your pet all the time. (I take them off when they get a bath, but they go right back on.)

2. All my pets are microchipped-- this is in addition to the collar, it's not a replacement for a collar/name tag. There are pets whose owners get them back because of microchipping. Sometimes, a collar can come off, and a microchip helps. But, it only helps if someone will have the dog checked for one. Some people put up signs in their neighborhood and if no one claims the dog, it might never go home.  You want your precious pet back if it's lost.

3. When the fireworks begin, make sure your pets are INSIDE. Do not leave them unattended in the yard, because they can just be so afraid that they somehow get out of your fence. Dogs that are afraid of fireworks (thunder,too) are not "thinking" and just want to get away from the sound.
4. Some of my dogs have to be sedated before a thunderstorm. That means they will be sedated before the fireworks begin. I get medication from my vet.

5. Use "white noise" to block the sound of fireworks. I have a mega-fan and it makes some big white noise. This helps keep them calm. You can also have a TV or radio on louder than normal to block outside noises.

THANK YOU TEDDY, MISSY, COSME, AND LILY FOR SHARING YOUR BLOG WITH ME TODAY!   WE WANT OUR DOGGY FRIENDS TO BE SAFE ON THE FOURTH!

1 comment:

lady jicky said...

Happy Fourth of July to you all in the USA !

My first Pekingese was called Lulu and she was born on the 4th of July --- I called her my "Yankee Doodle Dandy... born on the fourth of July" !!

Put your puppies indoor's if they hate the fireworks and enjoy your night! Yeah!!!

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES