Saturday, July 28, 2018

GRASS AWNS AND BEEBEE

 The Sisters, Nala and BeeBee, have been battling for life since they came into rescue in January.   They quickly showed me that they had a serious seizure disorder-- both of them!
 They were so sweet, but the seizures were tough to watch.   After months, we seem to have a handle on them as long as their meds are given on time.  Then, they were diagnosed with IMHA and ITP.   The ITP (low platelets counts) seems to have gotten better.  We are still fighting the IMHA.  BeeBee is having a tougher time, so her system has less resistance.
 This week, though, I took BeeBee in to the vet.  We saw that she had a sore on her foot.   I thought, "oh no, another IMHA side effect."  With a low immune system, the Sisters are prone to many health issues.
 It turned out that the sore was not just on the top of her foot between her toes, but it was also on the bottom.  The vet thought she had grass awn that had gone through her foot, probably from the bottom to the top.  (We can't be sure since it was no longer in her foot.)
 Grass awns can be very dangerous to an animal.  They could breathe it in through their nose and then there's a real issue.   They can burrow into the skin and have to be surgically removed.   These pictures of grass awns show they have a spikey part that can attach to the skin, and embed themselves. 
 The Sisters do not leave my yard, so I don't know where this could have come from.  It could have blown into my yard.  (They can't risk being around areas where other dogs have been.  Of course, we do have vet visits, but I try to protect them from being too close to other dogs.)
 The injury to her foot created a "cave like" hole.  I mean DEEP.   It hurt to look at it.
 The bottom of her foot had an even bigger hole-- I could see right into it, it was not just a surface injury.
 So, we soak it twice a day.  In Epsom salts.  Epsom salts can detoxify.  They can relieve pain.  It can reduce swelling.   It can help draw out infection.  I mix the Epsom salt with warm water and put it in a sandwich bag. 
 I held sweet BeeBee (who lets me do anything to her) on my lap and put her foot in the baggie.  I rub the liquid around her foot, rub it into her foot, massage her foot.   I do this for about ten minutes twice a day.   She has such a limited immune system, such a limited ability to heal, that I'm doing all I can to help her.   After her foot soaks in the solution, I wipe it with a towel and then let it dry.  After that, I put on a topical atibiotic.   
So far, she is doing well.   She seems to know I am helping her.   We want to give her every chance at being a healthy girl.   We just love this pair of sweet Sisters.  (Thank you to everyone who helps with their care-- you are part of their team!!)

2 comments:

LadyJicky said...

We have those sorts of grass seeds too but I never thought they would stab a foot and stay there!!! OMG!!!
I have heard of them going right down the ear passage and that must be so sore too.
You are so good Linda and I know this takes time out of your day but I know how you love those sisters!!!
I am doing my Healing Dance ( and you all thought I only had One Dance didn't you! LOL ) for cute BeeBee.
That girl is what we call in Australia ... "A Battler"!!! You go girl BeeBee!!!

Lost Earring said...

Prayers for healing for little BeeBee. The Sisters have gone through so much and yet they persist in their fight thanks to Linda's stubborn fight to give them a quality life as long as possible.

As soon as one of my little ones start to limp I get them on to my lap and start checking for grass awns. Peroxide is my first line of defense and then checking and rechecking.

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES