Sunday, June 21, 2020

AFTER THE ADOPTION

Fostering means foster parents get to love many dogs.  We have them awhile and help them become healthy and whole-- and then we let them go to new forever homes.   
Some come to us and stay.  I talked about that in the  "forever fosters" 
 Some stay for health reasons, like Clara.  Mitsy/Mitzie was adopted once she was ready.  (She's doing GREAT in her new home.)
 Floyd stayed-- another boy who needed to remain with me.  He was deaf and has almost no vision, and was timid.  He lived with us over a year until he passed away.
 Max and Kai Kai were never adopted, so we kept them.  My goal is to NOT keep my fosters.  Otherwise, I can't keep fostering.  (But, I'm so glad Max and Kai Kai stayed.)
 Chumley was an exception -- my granddaughter fell in love with him.  He is the happiest boy.  He's almost 15, and deaf now.  He's been here five years and his tail still wags all the time. 
 Clara is another who is staying for health reasons... but when a foster DOES get adopted, how do I feel?   After putting a lot of time and energy and worry and love into each one, I miss them.   For the first week, I worry about them.  Are they doing okay?  Do they miss me?   Are they looking for me?   Are they adjusting?  Are they playing and happy and loved and ........  ARE THEY OKAY? 
 I know every foster parent goes through the same thing when their foster is adopted.  We miss them.  Applesauce was adopted yesterday-- he was one of the sweetest fosters I've had.  There's not a mean bone in his body.   I'll miss him-- but he went to a wonderful home.   Maybe I can have a break before another foster dog comes.  Some changes may be happening in our home, so a break would be nice to get some things done.   But, when one is adopted, it does mean I just might be able to help another.  That's what we foster parents do-- help the next one.   I will miss Applesauce's happy face and personality.  I'll miss his wagging tail.  But, he will be so loved.  Happy Adoption sweet boy!  Don't forget us.  💙

1 comment:

LadyJicky said...

Oh Linda..... that photo of Max and Kai.... a tear in my eye.

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES