Saturday, August 8, 2026

SCAMERS--BE CAREFUL


I see so many things online and I know they are trying to sell dogs they don't have.   They use other people's pictures, or post puppies that aren't theirs.  
All the ones here are rescues.  When I have someone ask me to recommend a breeder, it upsets me.   There are some great Pekingese breeders, but they don't just sell puppies.  They screen their applicants to make sure they know what kind of home they are going to.    Some who are "selling" or "adopting" want you to make a deposit.  And a LOT of the time, you never see your money or a dog.   They are probably out of the country.  A friend called the number on one of the ads and it was someone else, not the person selling the dogs.   If you have to pay an upfront deposit.... well, I wouldn't do it.   If you buy a dog that way, and it's delivered to you, it's not from a reputable breeder.   I know some people who have done this, and have received a nice dog, but since I am rescue, I never advocate buying a dog from an unknown breeder (some are just mass producing dogs) or a pet store (which gets dogs from mass breeding places). 
Koda, now in a wonderful home, was bought from a pet store.   He was turned in at 8 months because he had problems with his eyes (PVPC did surgery for him).  Some back yard breeder dogs are bred even though they have traits that should not be passed on.   Some have health issues and many times the dogs they come from are not being cared for the way they deserve.   I know I'm on my soap box, but it's an issue for me.  After 23 years in rescue, I've seen so much, and have become hard about these issues.  Too many dogs pay the price.  If you want a dog, apply to a good rescue. (And expect them to do a thorough check up on you).  If you can't find the breed you want, consider another dog.  There are beautiful mixes in shelters all over who are waiting for homes.   I love the Pekingese breed and have had them most of my life.   But we've taken in other small mixes and I've fallen in love with them too.   
So be cautious if you are thinking of buying online or through newspaper ads, or (oh gosh) by a sign on the street.   I'll keep advocating this because I've seen so much.   
(We just took in 2 Bichon puppies and are they adorable!   I know we're Peke rescue, but these dogs are just as lovable.💜)
 

No comments:

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES