Saturday, September 18, 2021

FOSTERING—CAN YOU LET GO?

I've done rescue over 18 years now.   Abner was one of my puppy fosters.  He's now a therapy dog in New York!  I had him when he was 6 months old.  Was I tempted to keep him?  Of course.  
Lady was a recent foster.   When you foster, you MUST be able to let them go.   It's hard!  It can be REALLY hard if they've been with you for awhile.   
Applesauce-- how cute he is.  But, he was adopted after having several who wanted him.
I remember Furby, and Rocky, and BG.   Furby and Rocky went to Jackie's.  Furby passed away from cancer, Rocky is still there.   BG lives in NC as a forever foster.   She is adored even though she's a bit "testy."  LOL
Some fosters come, and never are adopted.  Some are medical.  Some are hospice, like tiny Clara. She stayed with me until it was time to hold her and say good-bye.  
Harley Marie was a small, adorable foster dog.   She lived a long, wonderful life in Maryland.  
Max and Maggie came to me years ago.   It took 10 months to get Maggie healthy, but then she was adopted.  I wanted them to go together, but after 10 months, I realized it wasn't happening.   Maggie had a wonderful life and they did fine without each other.  Max didn't have any applications-- I never understand why some don't.  So, we kept him.   He died at over 16 last year.  He was our Mr. Grumpy and we adored him.
Floyd was another hospice foster. Oh, he was so cute.  
BeeBee and Nala came to me as seizure dogs, but then they developed IMHA and became hospice fosters.  Oh, how I loved them.  Their picture remains on my desk.  
Chumley-- well, he stayed because one of my granddaughters fell in love with him.  She was devastated that he might leave.  So, we kept him.   Grandparents and grandkids. 💓
Mattie of the ears. :-)  She was found in a crate by a bank.   She is perfect.  We thought of keeping her-- but.... In rescue, if you keep them, then that means you are limited and can't necessarily help the next one that needs help.   We let her be adopted-- and how she is loved!
JoJo was in an NC shelter.  Yes, he was adopted.   
Joshua-- oh, my, Joshua.  He was here when Starlight was here.  Craig and Sylvia came to meet Starlight, but Starlight was having none of it!   They adopted Joshua who was here also.  Scooterbug, one of our Pekes at the time, was best friends with Joshua.   But, Joshua went to an incredible home where he was loved and given everything he needed for the rest of his life. 
Most of you knew Starlight.  She would NOT let anyone adopt her. Nope, she chose us and that was that.   We had her over ten years before she died in her sleep at over 13.   What a loss that was.  
Kai Kai-- my heart boy.   He came to me when he was almost 6 years old.  No one applied for him!  Unbelievable.  He had eyes then, and was precious.   We did have one unacceptable application for him.  (We are very careful on where our dogs go, and could tell he would have been left outside. Nope.)  So, after a year, he became mine.  Best decision ever.
Madeline Grace was my foster girl.  Mickey was with another foster near me.   They were both adopted and live near me.   
Matilda-- she was blind when I got her from a shelter.  Thanks to all who helped, she had cataract surgery and can see now!  She lives in Richmond, VA and is adored.
I had to show my Max and Kai Kai again-- you can call them foster failures.   They really "timed out" of how long I will keep a dog as a foster.   Then, they're mine.   
Magnolia was with me years ago.  She's a senior now who lives with a friend of mine.  I love keeping up with them, knowing how loved they are.
Mitsy was also here and lives in another home in Richmond.  She has limited vision, but she gets around.   I've met the BEST people in rescue!!
Poochie was one of the Bristol 18 rescue in 2010.    He was adopted to an incredible family in Richmond.  He's an old man now.  
Stewart was precious-- no eyes but so loving.   He was adopted by "now friends" in NC.  Sadly, he ended up with kidney failure and died when he was about 12.  But, oh, he was loved.
Tuk Tuk-- no, I didn't keep him either.   But, he's still in the family.
Daisy was here for a short time-- she was part of the Potomac Six group.  (I had a vet ward set up in my dining room for awhile.)  She was fostered and adopted near me.   She's a happy girl!
Zoey and Minnie are forever fosters-- both deaf and very limited vision.  They are seniors.  Can I let my foster dogs go, though???  Yes, I can.  Is it easy?  No.  I love each one like they are my own.   They are never crated here, although some sleep in playpens if they aren't housetrained.   They are adored while they're with me.  But, when I find a great home, I can let them go.  Tears may be shed, and I want lots of updates.   If you want to foster, you may end up adopting them.  And that's fine.  But, then, if you want to do rescue long term, you have to be able to let them move on.   That's Rescue-- and it's a privilege to love so many.  
WE ARE RESCUE! 


 

3 comments:

LadyJicky said...

It must be so hard to let a Foster go but .... you cannot keep them all.
I would hate to be in your position at times!

Lillian said...

You are amazing, Linda, and so needed for all these wonderful pups, whether they go out stay with you. I'll always be grateful for my Marshmallow

Lost Earring said...

Linda, this makes you even more amazing and it reinforces my belief that I would make a lousy rescuer because I know I could not bear to let one of these beautiful babies go. I can certainly help out by donating for their care but I think the minute I would physically touch them it would be game over for me. I sadly would have a house full of Pekes.

I did enjoy the story today as I was able to catch up with the lives of so many of your rescues including the wonderful Kai Kai who stole my heart without ever petting him.

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES