Wednesday, December 21, 2011


This is from Dr. Jon wrote it and I want to give him full credit. The information is so important that I wanted to share it. Here is the article:


Today I want to take a minute and identify some common dangers that cause emergencies over the holidays. My hope is that you understand what they are and take steps to prevent them happening for your dog. 

After all, it is no fun spending part of your holidays at the emergency vet. 

#1. Gastrointestinal Upset - This is a common problem that occurs during the holidays. Adorable dogs beg for human food that doesn't agree with their stomachs. Turkey bones left in an accessible place are irresistible to pets, and can lodge in an animal's throat or block the intestinal tract. Remove leftovers from the table and don't leave garbage where animals can get to it.

 Don't forget that alcohol and chocolate are toxic to dogs and should never be given to them.

#2. Ornament Ingestion - Some dogs play with ornaments as if they were toys, frequently shattering them or breaking off small pieces. They either ingest pieces of the ornament or the hook or are injured by broken glass. Don't use edible ornaments or fragile, easily breakable glass decorations to trim the tree (especially on the lower branches where curious pets can reach them). 

#3. Falling Trees - Your pet may knock over the tree, trying to get to the bulbs or while playing under the tree. The needles (even artificial ones) are indigestible and can cause gastric upset. You can keep your dog away from the tree (using a baby gate in the doorway or low lattice fencing) or secure the tree so it can't be knocked over.

#4. Ornament Hooks - Don't use wire ornament hooks that can easily snag an ear or a tail, or, if swallowed, lodge in the throat or intestines. Instead, fashion loops of yarn, ribbons or lightweight twine. 

#5. Ingestion of String, Tinsel or Ribbon - Any item that an animal swallows, including string, ribbon on gifts, or bulbs, can become what vets refer to as a foreign body. Swallowing any of these things can require surgery. Shiny materials such as string, tinsel, and ribbon are particularly appealing at this time of year. Prevent your pets' access to the gifts unless supervised. 

#6. Burns and House Fires - Candles are popular this time of year and dogs can knock over a candle with their wagging tails. This can cause burns and even house fires. Another common cause of house fires (which has nothing to do with your dog) is a dried out Christmas tree. Keep your tree watered to prevent it from catching fire.

#7. Drinking Tree Water. Some pets will drink water from the tree. Don't use preservatives in the stand water. They can be toxic if consumed by a thirsty pet. Carefully cover the top of the stand with a tree skirt so your pet can't get to it. 

#8. Potpourri - Liquid potpourri is commonly used during the holidays to give a nice aroma to the home. Dogs can be attracted and lick some up. This can cause caustic chemical burns to the mouth, gums, tongue and esophagus. These burns can be severe enough to require hospitalization and placement of a feeding tube.

#9. Electrocution - Some dogs (especially curious puppies) will chew on or bite electrical cords causing life-threatening electrocution. Make sure electrical cords are out of reach, taped firmly to walls or floors.

 Cover wires with a rug if needed and tape the edges down.

#10. Plant Problems - Certain plants are a menace to dogs: poinsettias irritate the stomach and eyes. Berries of the Jerusalem cherry are toxic when ingested and cause pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Holly and mistletoe, amaryllis, chrysanthemum, rhododendron and winter broom as well as Christmas berry, cherry, pepper and rose can all cause problems to pets that ingest them

1 comment:

lady jicky said...

"We read it and we will try to do ALL ten of them over the Christmas Break! "
Moi Moi and Coco :) Woof!