Friday, November 1, 2019

FAREWELL MY MIZMO

Mizmo came to me in May-- a very neglected (long term neglect) senior Peke. 
We thought he looked like a little character.  💜  Those fangs!
Mizmo had almost no hair-- this was his shelter picture.  When they brought him to me, they didn't even carry him.  He smelled so bad-- and had such a look of defeat.
I picked him up and he had given up-- nothing was there.  He had no hope in his face or body.
But, we did all we could to help him. 
He began to have some hope.  He insisted on sleeping upstairs. 
He liked the other dogs-- except Paddington :-(.  They never got along.   So, we had different areas for each one.  They were both fine with any other dogs--just not each other.
Mizmo stole my heart-- and everyone else's heart, too. 
I love this picture of him.   His hair began to grow, but his skin never really healed.   We saw the dermatologist.  We did scrapings, we did biopsies.   I posted pictures of him, and everyone hoped he was getting better-- but in reality, nothing was working.
He would get in the laundry basket-- must have been full of familiar smells.   I had so much faith that he would be okay.
But, the longer I had him, the less faith I had.  The vets were running out of options. I can't tell you how many vet visits we had.  SO MANY.
I took him for another evaluation last week.  A week ago today-- I had a list of things we could do.  Yes, I was prepared.   I knew Mizmo's stance was changing-- but ....  His little mouth was shaking.  I realized he was in pain.   He was on special baths, special meds, special eye and ear drops.  His skin was still full of scabs and infection despite all we were doing.  We tried so much.   He would not let me touch his legs-- they hurt.  At the vet, she told me he was getting edema in his legs, a painful condition.  His skin was turning "alligator" again.  No!   As we talked, I knew we had done all we could.   As a foster mom, I hate to say that-- because I've had so many medical fosters, three IMHA dogs, and I hated the thought that I could not save Mizmo.  But, in fairness, I couldn't let him continue to suffer as he fought all that had happened to him.   If he had not been neglected so long, maybe we could have helped him.  But, his immune system just could not rally.  It just wasn't fair. 
Mizmo was part of my heart.  We knew it was time.  But, it was heartbreaking.  So, one of the vet techs made him a plate of her lasagna (he never had special treats because of allergies).  As he ate, he was given a sedation shot.   Then, he had MMs.  Oh, he ate those up.  The sedation began to relax him and I held him as he fell asleep.  He was resting peacefully as he left me.  I kissed his head-- still full of scabs, but it was okay.  I rubbed his body, told him I loved him, sobbed over him.  I'm so sorry I could not fix you, Mizmo.   You knew you were loved, I'm sure of it.  You were my little man for awhile here, and then I handed you over to God.  Now you can romp with Starlight, BeeBee, Nala, Pi, Leo, Cami Bear, Floyd-- all who have left our family in 2018 and 2019.  It's been too many.  But, all were loved, all were cherished, all were safe during their time with us.   Mizmo is now whole, his skin is healed, he can hear.   I love you, Mizmo.  I won't use your name again-- there will always be just one Mizmo.   My Mizmo.  Run free now, sweet man.   You took part of my heart when you left. ❤️

8 comments:

Toni Davis said...

Hugs!

Jan said...

I will never forget Mizmo, Linda. A huge part of my heart belongs solely to him. Thank you for making him feel loved and wanted. You are most certainly a beautiful blessing ♥️

Lost Earring said...

Sobbing, not only for little Mizmo but for Linda with so many losses within this year. Names marched pass us as we fell in love with each one of them.

Mizmo is the straw that broke my back. That little face with his fangs was so dear and while I felt the pain, I cannot begin to imagine the pain for Linda who rescued them, worked so hard to heal each one of them and the last of all, held them as they left this world for a better place.

If there's a lesson here, it's a stark message to everyone....neglect kills and we need to pay attention to the brave people like Linda Maxwell , the fosters, the willing folks who put together a rescue train to get each and every one of these poor babies to medical attention and the kindness and love many of them never knew.

The only up side to this saga are the ones linda was able to save and into the arms of loving adopters who shower their love on their new babies.

Mary St. Mary said...

Crying. Again. Poor little guy. Brody was getting alligator skin and was full of scabs when he left us despite 2 courses of antibiotics. I think his immune system had given up. I had just started using a shampoo with CBD oil in it but it didn't have a chance to work. 😥

Pekiegirl said...


I think he took part of my heart too. So sorry Linda. 😥

LadyJicky said...

Oh Linda..... I wish I was there with you as its just so hard and when a "special one" in your heart has to pass.... its so much harder.

You did all you could so do not feel guilty for it was time. Its funny but we do "Know" the time when we must do this.
Linda.... have a restful weekend ... try to do as little as possible but I do know your life is very busy ... just try to put off things you can.

Rest in Peace little Mizmo.

Carol Lee said...

My heart & my tears go out to you..think of your little man when the butterflies return in spring & know he is flying free...

Jamie said...

So sorry for the loss of Mizmo. He is a beautiful boy. A little piece of you went with him. He is so lucky to have you with him Thank you Linda for being so a great care taker For putting your heart out for Mizmo He so needed you and was so deserving of your care. It’s a tough loss I feel your pain Honestly. I do. Jamie

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES