Friday, April 12, 2019

PIPER'S EYE SURGERY

 Piper came into rescue with Paddington.  He is a sweet boy who loves my husband and Sugar Bit.   He also guards the house against trash trucks and squirrels!   He's a Malti-Poo.  Well, we think he is.  I might have to do a DNA test to see if there's something else in there. 
 He tells me he has an underbite and that's he REALLY IS a Pekingese.  Sure he is. 
 The two, who I called "the twins" are very bonded and so I took Piper in also-- even if he wasn't a Peke.  (How could I not take in Paddington's best friend when their dad could no longer take care of them.)
 Paddington had to have eye fold (nasal fold) surgery because his fold was so large.  He was SO cute with his eye fold, but it could have led to eye scarring and so he had surgery.  He is doing much better now, the e-collar is off and the hair is growing back.
I thought I was done with eye surgery for awhile, but I was wrong.  I noticed something on Piper's eye.  So, he went to the vet, and then we were off to Animal Eye Care.   He had a tumor on his eye lid.
 It's called a Palpebral Mass, and if it's removed, it doesn't usually continue on to cancer (if it was headed that direction), and there is only a 15% chance of it coming back-- so we hope for the best.  He had his surgery, and his eye is swollen, but he is doing so great.  He lets me put in eye drops, he isn't rubbing it at all.   If it does come back, he will have to have surgery to remove it.  The first surgery was Cryosurgery (use of liquid nitrogen to destroy the tumor).   It was done under local anesthesia, and he was so good.  If it comes back, we can do that again, or do surgery under anesthesia to remove it. 
For now, he is healing, and doing great.  He and Paddington will both have rechecks in two week to see how they are doing.   We are hoping for the best!!  

2 comments:

LadyJicky said...

I am hoping for the best for them ...... they sure love each other.
They are both adorable Linda!!!

Lost Earring said...

Oh my gosh, you do so much in rescue efforts and the fact that you took in "The Twins" reflects just how big your heart is and in fact your entire family seems to have the same kind nature and big hearts for the little guys and gals who come in to your rescue.

So glad the surgeries went well for them. I'm also in love with Marshmallow and the rest of your gang.

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES