Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TRACEY, SAFE AT LAST

I have never "taken in" a dog in rescue that has had the background of little Tracey. All I knew was that she was in a NC shelter and was going to be put down the next day. It was a Sunday afternoon and Jeanne and I thought we had "the day off." That doesn't happen much in rescue.
Tracey was found next to her dead owners. The mother and grandmother had been shot by the son/grandson. Little Tracey was found next to them, not wanting to leave their sides. We have the news story on our facebook account-- it is one of the saddest we've heard. And the shelter decided that because Tracey was "old and needed a dental", she was not being put up for adoption. The volunteer rescue person at the shelter started sending out emails to save Tracey's life. I didn't get it until the day before she was going to be put down-- so I had to work fast. I knew a few people in NC, where Tracey was, and I emailed them all. One of them, Colleen, said she would help. Without her help, Tracey would not have been saved.
Colleen picked up Tracey-- who is here giving her a big thank you kiss. Tracey had been in the shelter since November, almost three months.
Here is Tracey on the way to Colleen's house. She stayed there, and had a grooming and bath by Colleen, so that she could then make the trip to her foster home in Va. today. Debbie will be her foster mom and her permanent mom. With her story, Debbie said she will stay there and be loved the rest of her life. Debbie wrote on our face book account, "she has been saved from euthanasia by Colleen and the final end is near for her forever home, I am the lucky one to get her. Thanks to POTOMAC rescue. What a great group of folks. And they have a friendship following that is very concerned and thoughtful." (Thank you for those sweet words, you are part of our team now, too!) Debbie is so excited that she said, "I am ready to have a baby shower for her! I'm going to spoil her and try to make up to her for the time she was in jail." I love that! When Jeanne and I see this ending to the work we've done, our hearts just about explode with joy!
If any of you want to thank Colleen for what she did, just put it on the comments or send an email to me at haveninhim@aol.com and I will make sure she gets it. THANK YOU COLLEEN! You saved a life this week.

5 comments:

lady jicky said...

Oh my Linda , this is so sad . You watch TV shows like CSI and you never think that these things do Really happen in REAL life!
I am sure little Traceys family who she was so devoted to were watching over her and now she is living with Colleen and they must be so happy she has been saved and in a loving home.
Colleen - you are one very special person and I wish you and Tracey all the best!
As my Moi Moi would say - "they are girlfriends forever!" Woof!

Pekiegirl said...

So happy for Tracey! Thanks to everyone involved for saving this little girl's life!

Tracey said...

Linda, what a wonderful blessing you and Jeanne are to the Peke rescue group. This poor sweet thing, she sure had it rough. And, how blessed now to be saved and going to a loving home! Thank you for the smile today!

emilyp said...

This is an amazing story. Tracey deserved a happy ending and bless Colleen and PVPC Rescue for making it happen:) Debbie is a lucky momma for sure:) I think Tracey is going to be spending the best days of her life in her new furever home:)

Karin said...

Wow, sweet little Tracey has sure been through an unbelievable ordeal ~ and to be saved at the last moment... THANK-YOU Colleen for adopting her and thank-you to everyone involved in her rescue!!

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES