Monday, May 14, 2012

PEKES AND CANCER

This is my grand-Peke, Wicket. He hasn't being doing great lately, coughing a lot. So, we took him in to the vet and his exam seemed fine. We did an xray and that wasn't so fine. He has a tumor in his lung. We are doing more tests on Tuesday, so we'll know more then. He is the sweetest boy, letting all the grandkids/bits crawl around him, go on adventures with him. He's been part of the family for my daughter's entire married life. We hope he has a lot more time.Lafite, Chris's Peke, has a rare protate cancer. He was neutered a long time ago, so that's not part of it. Non-neutered dogs are prone to this, but it's very rare for the rest. Lafite is the light of his mom's life.Dee's little Pooh came to her as an older girl. She was slowing down a bit, but that's normal for a 14 year old Peke. On a vet visit, it was discovered that Pooh has cancer. We don't know how long she'll be with her mom, but we hope it's a long time.
Why am I writing on this? First, I want you to lift up these owners and
their precious Pekes. It's never easy to lose one, and we hope it won't be for awhile for them. Second, I want to learn more-- and so let me know if you have been through this and what you have learned.
Pray for these sweet Pekes.

2 comments:

lady jicky said...

Moi Moi , Coco and I are sending healing Vibes!!!

Ginkgo's Daddy said...

Bless these Pekes with cancer. My heart goes out to their human parent(s). My Peke Ping Pong had a lump under her skin in her shoulder area when she was about 8 or 9 years old. Having worked in cancer research, it did not "feel" cancerous, and the vet. agreed with me. He just told me to check it occasionally. I eventually noticed that the lump was getting larger, so I took Ping Pong to the vet. to have it removed. I requested a biopsy despite the cost. She healed fine, but I got the biopsy report--cancer--adenocarcinoma--the most highly spreadable type of cancer. I was devastated. The vet. told me it could have already spread to her bones, brain, lungs, etc., and said she may only have 3 to 6 months to live. I started feeding her broccoli with her meals, as it is suppose to prevent cancer. Six months passed and she was still healthy. Six months later, I found another lump in the same area and had it removed. I assume it was cancerous too. I still kept feeding Ping Pong broccoli. A year later, another lump appeared, but disappeared without surgery. From the first diagnosis, Ping Pong was playful as a puppy. But almost 6 years later, she became ill on a Weds. and I took her to the vet. on Friday. He thought it was just an intestinal upset and gave her some medication. On Sunday, I had to take her to the pet ER clinic and they wanted to put her down then, but I just got more medication and brought Ping Pong home to take care of her. The cancer had evidently spread throughout her whole body. I was feeding her Gatorade with a dropper. She was dehydrated and near death, but she was determined to live. On Tuesday, I took her back to the vet. to see if more antibiotics and other meds. would help her, but the vet. said no. I had to have her euthanized. I was crying so hard on my way home that I couldn't see to drive and had to pull off the road into a parking lot. But Ping Pong was 2 months shy of being 15, and I had those 6 years longer with her. After I lost my precious Ping Pong and grieving, I was losing weight rapidly. Three weeks later, Ginkgo was rescued and then she rescued me when I adopted her.
RIP Ping Pong. Nov. 9, 1989 to Sept. 7th 2004.

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES