Saturday, July 2, 2011

NASAL FOLD SURGERY

Pekingese are prone to having eye issues. Many of the rescue dogs we get need nasal fold surgery (reducing the size of the fold below the eye). Starlight, above, needed this done (along with stenotic nares surgery and three ear procedures). Look at her now!

Sabre, one of the Bristol 18 dogs also had to have this done. If this surgery is needed, but not done, there can be a rubbing of the hair from the fold on the eyeball. It leads to scarring, ulcers of the eye and sight damage.

Poochie, also of the Bristol 18, had this surgery, too. It does change the look of the face, but they're so cute anyway.

Chance had huge folds and had his reduced. You want a vet who can do this well. You don't want too little or too much done. Many vets will refer you to an opthalmologist for this procedure. If the procedure is not done, the eye can water excessively, trying to protect itself-- but the opposite is also true in Pekes and many have Dry Eye, and need drops every day. (Some dogs need the surgery and eye drops.)

Taloola had her done-- and look how cute she is! I'm always amazed at the "before and after" pictures-- not just because of the surgery, but of how they look once they've been cared for and loved.

Cocoa Puff (now Pekachu) also had this. It's very important to wear the cone (e-collar) after the surgery so the eyes are not rubbed, causing the stitches to open up and a re-do having to take place.

My Scooterbug, who is using a toy for a pillow (his tongue perpetually out) had this surgery done when he was young. He's ten now! He's my best boy!! If you want to find out more about this surgery, just google Nasal Fold Surgery, Dogs. It's amazing how much information is available-- but most important, work with your vet to come to the decision that is best for your dog. You can also use this link: http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/macropalpebral.htm

I don't know if this little guy will need it. He's coming into rescue today. He has an appointment to see the vet this afternoon-- we just need a name for him. He was found in a crate outside a Sheets store (like WaWa or 7-11). Someone finally realized no one was coming to get him. They had dropped him off. In spite of this, he is very sweet. I'll do a blog on him later. Any name ideas? :-)

5 comments:

lady jicky said...

Your new guy looks so sweet Linda.
My husband thinks - Remmie - as in "remember me"

I think Mr Forgotten for that is what this poor guy was.

I will never know how people do this.

Pekiegirl said...

He looks like a Willie to me! Stupid people to leave him at a convenience store!

emilyp said...

I like Remmie:)
I can't believe someone just dumped him outside a store..what is wrong with people??

Jennie said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Jennie
www.theprettypekingese.com

Linda said...

Jennie, I wrote the blog for you. If you have a request for a specific thing on my blog, just let me know and I'll do my best.
Linda

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES