Must Love Pekes is a blog for those who love Pekingese, their looks, their antics, their personalities. It is written by me, Linda, and I have been rescuing Pekingese for over 15 years. Lots of them have gone through our home. We have loved them all.
Saturday, November 17, 2018
PEKINGESE AND SAFE CLEANERS
Ellie, new to rescue, is resting comfortably. I know she would want you to know how important it is to use safe cleaning products in your home-- not only for your family, but for your Pekes and other pets. (Birds are especially sensitive to things that are toxic.)
Some of my Pekes are special needs, most are older or have health problems.
Nala is my most medical dog here. She saw me throw her toy into the washing machine, and was horrified. But, it's important to keep the toys clean. I use a safe cleaning product for my washing machine. And it's important to do extra rinses to get all of the detergent out.
Because of Nala, I've done more research into what is safe. Since she has IMHA, seizures and other health issues, it's critical that I keep the house a healthy place for her. I use mostly vinegar to clean, because it's non-toxic. Many of us love the smell of a "clean house" when you've used a product that is "scenty" but sometimes, those are just not safe. A pine oil based cleaner can be extremely toxic for your dogs. Here is a link: Pine Oil Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
You may think if your pet is on a table (like Granger) or a couch while you clean, they are safe. But, some of the symptoms of pine oil poisoning are felt in the eyes, nose, ears, lungs and skin. Symptoms like: difficulty swallowing, hyperactivity, lethargy, nausea, breathing trouble, coma, confusion, depression, drooling, panting, respiratory distress, frequent urination, diarrhea, vomiting. Even death. Some of these can come on even though you think you have rinsed the floor safely. Breathing in toxic smells can be dangerous, ingesting them (from licking paws) even more so.