Thursday, April 9, 2009

Retractable Leashes


I wanted to post this report on the retractable leashes from Consumer Reports. I checked it out and it appears to be true. I know a lot of people love these leashes, but I've always had trouble with them. I have had a tendency to grab them when the dog gets too far (instead of using the leash controls to do that) and I've had "rope burns" on my hand. I'd rather post this and be on the safe side.


Heather Todd didn’t bring a leash with her the day she took her pooch Penny to a pond near Boston in 2005. So she borrowed a retractable dog leash to help keep her Labrador retriever in check. But it didn’t. The 90-pound dog suddenly took off running and dragged Todd across the sand.

When she came to a stop and recovered her wits, she spotted something lying on the sand. With horror, she realized it was a human index finger; with greater horror, she realized it was her own. The cord of the retractable leash had looped around her finger and pulled taut when Penny bolted.

“It just cut it off like a sharp knife,” Todd says. She wrapped her hand in a towel, grabbed the finger, and headed to the hospital, but doctors were unable to reattach it. Todd, who’s now in nursing school, says there are times when her missing finger causes problems. “I get by. You just adjust,” she says.

Todd’s story may sound like a freak accident, but retractable leashes are responsible for a surprising number of injuries each year, including amputations. In 2007 there were 16,564 hospital-treated injuries associated with leashes, according to Consumer Union's analysis of statistics collected by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Of those, about 10.5 percent involved children 10 and younger; 23.5 percent involved injuries to the finger. The CPSC's data does not parse the leashes into types but it's likely that the amputations were caused by retractable leashes.

The most common injuries reported were burns and cuts, usually sustained when the cord came in contact with skin as it rapidly paid out from the handle of a leash. Others occurred when the cord got wrapped around part of the owner or the dog. Todd sued the maker of the leash as well as the distributor, as have others who have been injured by retractable leashes. Todd told us that the company settled her case for an undisclosed amount. Retractable-leash makers do put some pretty stark warnings about their products on their Web sites and on the packaging. Germany-based Flexi, one of the largest manufacturers of the leashes, has a long page of warnings on it Web site. Here’s how it begins:
“To avoid the risk of eye or face injury and cuts, burns, and amputations to your body or the body of another person from the leash cord/tape or all belt and hook, (sic) read and follow these Warnings and Directions for Use before using your Flexi leash.”

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Thanks for the information! I have two flexi retractable leashes. I'm not getting rid of them. But, I will be very aware of the dangers now.

Anonymous said...

I was not aware of this, and with four of them I'm seriously thinking about switching.
I went to Country Boy's and Ross yesterday, I just finished posting the rest of my finds on today's blog :)
I'd love to see your glass collection!

lady jicky said...

We have a couple of these leads . my husband likes to use them but I do not - I will tell him about their dangers - thanks!

Anna said...

I'd used a flexi-leash in the country years ago, so when we adopted Willy, I thought it would be perfect since he's a peppy walker. Our ASPCA trainer warned against ever using them in the city -- just too many dangers and not a good way to reinforce proper walking habits. The trainer said a 4 foot leash is best. My husband still uses the flexi, but only in the country in open spaces, away from other dogs and traffic.. Thanks for the great post!

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES