Wednesday, July 3, 2019

MIZMO--THE JOURNEY CONTINUES

MIZMO
Mizmo came into rescue in mid-May.
He was turned into a shelter by his owner.  He had no medical care at all.   Oh this face!
He had almost no hair, infected ears, ulcers in his eyes, sores on his skin.  His skin was tough and scaly like an alligator.   And oh, did he smell.  (He could get near me in the house, and I knew he was there without seeing him.)
We treated his ears, which continue to heal.   (He is on a new ear med, but he's doing much better.  He doesn't hear well.)  He's been on antibiotics the entire six-seven weeks.  He has daily baths to help his skin to heal.   He's been on eye meds to heal the ulcers (healed now!) but he continues to need dry eye drops. 
He is so used to the care he is getting-- he is good for everything.  He's also on a special allergy diet to make sure food allergies are not part of his skin trouble.
My vet, Acredale Animal Hospital in Virginia Beach, is incredible.  Dr. Meador has done Mizmo's care and she has seen him every week.  (I told her I was due an easy foster, LOL.)
When she walked out of the room, he went to the door to look for her.
He loves the porch, especially if the fan is blowing.  🌝
Yesterday morning, I noticed his tooth was hanging down.  What was going on?!  I got dressed and took him to the vet.  I planned to drop him off, so that Dr. Meador could see him when she had time.  She had a busy surgery and ultrasound day.   She took time to see him and called me shortly after he got there.   There was definitely something wrong.   She said she would sedate him so she could take dental xrays and we would find out what was going on.  
His tooth was abscessed.  And there was a crack in his jaw.  He needed immediate help and even though she had a very busy schedule, she fit him in.  I'm so grateful.
It turns out that his mouth had a lot of issues.  We could never get a great look into his mouth before, but from the front, we couldn't see what was happening in the gum and below the surface.  Poor Mizmo lost both "fangs"-- his SIGNATURE LOOK!   He lost four other teeth.  This boy must have been in pain, yet he never acted like it. 
He came home and he showed me his new look.  He's still adorable.
He was able to eat in the evening and take his meds, which he did so well.
I have playpens that I use for eating or recovery areas. 
Piper was so concerned about him and checked him out-- he's the only one who can get his nose in-- a nosy little boy LOL.   I couldn't resist haha.   Mizmo will be on soft food for a week and then I will grind his dry food for another week, adding his special soft food to it.   He has had quite a journey-- but he makes progress.   He loves to sleep in his special place in our room, and is a delight to have.   I hope he will soon be able to have his very own home (I can't keep them all).   He deserves it so much.   Someone will be so lucky to have him.  💙

5 comments:

LadyJicky said...

Mizmo is one tough guy ..... I know I should not say this but .... I think he looks better without his big teeth.
I am sure he will feel much better for their removal in time.

He is what we call in Australia ... "A Battler " someone that keeps going even if the times are tough!! Right on Mate .... love ya !!!

Carol Lee said...

Bless you & your veterinarian for all you do...He is so adorable..

Arthur said...

Mizmo is a trooper.. so happy he is in your care..

Tom Ace said...

Thank you for helping Mizmo. Real progress with his health issues.

The Klein Klan said...

Mizmo is still so precious!!! And thank goodness his mouth received the care it needed! It is so hard to know EVERYTHING that is happening with these fur babies!!! Thank you for always being willing to help and take care of these pups and you vet is a true angel! Y’all are an amazing team it is simply heartwarming to know such selfless
People! Mizmo you are rocking your new look! Someone will be so lucky to have you I hope SOON! 🦋❌⭕️❌⭕️🙏🏻🥰👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

PEKES

PEKES
MUST LOVE PEKES